Tic Tac Tick Tactics

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Sunday 21 September 2014 11:46

Last weekend my worst nightmare came true. I'm on my way back from crossfit with nothing but my gym kit, no pots, no camera. Nothing. I suddenly spot a weevil on a door frame in deepest darkest Hove that I don't recognise but I have about a four mile walk to get home and loads to do on the way, it could be hours before I got home, I can't carry a weevil betwixt thumb and forefinger all day. Or can I? 

So, one handed I did my shopping in the nearest supermarket, bought a box of Tic Tacs, necked two, poured the rest in the bin and secured the beetle at a cost of 59p.

Well worth it as this is Hypera zoilus (my 867th beetle and I think our biggest Hypera) and with only 18 records in Sussex, it's not a species I could of afforded to have left where I spotted it. It's not quite Darwin carrying beetles in his mouth when he ran out of pots but it does illustrate the lengths I'll go to, to not miss out on a new species!

1 Response to "Tic Tac Tick Tactics"

Gibster Says:

Amazingly, the only one of these I've ever seen was also in a Tic-Tac box! Chances of that, eh? ;) Course I didn't tic-tac it so can't tick-tac it either. Ho hum.

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network