"...thousands of eggs there, thousands of eggs!"

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Monday 30 April 2012 22:11

OK, maybe not thousands but I wanted to put a reference to Alien in this blog post. Sorry about the blurred photo too but this strange beetle would not keep still. It's a female Hylecoetus dermestoides and I spotted it at Ebernoe today ovipositing on a Beech snag. It was relentlessly laying eggs up and down a long crack. So, I decided to have a quick go of filming it and I think it came out quite well, I must remember to do more filming. I saw my first Red-headed Cardinal and Rhagium mordax today too, so things are finally happening. I also finally heard a Cuckoo and a Garden Warbler. Maybe we will start to get some good birds turning up soon too, it's been way too quiet this spring.

3 Response to ""...thousands of eggs there, thousands of eggs!""

mat davidson Says:

Yes, more vids please, that was great!

kirstallcreatures Says:

Good Alien quote, that Prometheus trailer has a lot to answer for....

Graeme Lyons Says:

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll try and take more videos of less well known invertebrates in the field then.

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network