What makes Sussex Moth Group tick!?

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Monday 30 January 2012 15:25

I was very  proud to give this talk on Saturday at the National Moth Recording Conference in Birmingham. Putting this talk together made me realise just how active the group is and also, how lucky we are in Sussex. Some of the comments I got after giving the talk supported this further. I think that the most important thing with any such group is openness and inclusivity. Everyone and every group is talking to every other person and group. Strong relationships between the Sussex Moth Group and Sussex Wildlife Trust, Butterfly Conservation and particularly the Sussex Biodiversity Records Centre are in my opinion (after an enthusiastic membership) the reasons why our group works so well.

I still get nervous before talking to this many (200) people and I think I always will but I do my best to hide it. I think the nerves keep you on your toes.
It was great to see some old friends and we came up with all sorts of ideas for field trips and holidays for the summer. I also spent over £100 on books...
My favourite talks were about the forthcoming micro moth book and the evolution of bats and moths. Oh yeah, the kites. On my north bound journey I saw 80, that's not a typo, 80 kites! On my way south today, I saw only three.

3 Response to "What makes Sussex Moth Group tick!?"

Ben Lewis Says:

Forthcoming micro book?? Is this the field guide illustrated by Lewington? If so what's the latest news? is there an expected due date yet?
PS I responded to your Ross's Goose question....
Cheers- Ben

Graeme Lyons Says:

Yes it's Lewington, British Wildlife publishing. Written and edited by Mark Parsons and Phil Sterling. Could be as early as May.

Ben Lewis Says:

Wow, that is actually quite exciting, been looking forward to this one for a while! Thanks for the good news.

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network