Small red stuff

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Sunday 10 July 2011 19:34

Went for a nice stroll around Old Lodge this afternoon with Jo. I was hoping to catch up with Small Red Damselfly which we did but that wasn't the highlight for me. On our approach to the bog I turned to Jo and sitting on her coat was this False Ladybird Endomychus coccineus. This is a new species for me, I was reading about it only earlier this morning and thought it odd that I had not seen it yet. Anyway, it's on the list now! I noticed that the camera wasn't picking up the true scarlet of the beetle, the photo makes it look much more orange than it was.
Whilst standing around one of the acid pools waiting for a Keeled Skimmer I saw lots of backswimmers and suddenly remembered there is a distinctive one in acid pools. I hoyed a couple out and indeed it was Notonecta obliqua. Easy to id in the field on the white markings. I managed to add three species in about two hours, not a bad afternoon in all.

2 Response to "Small red stuff"

Papilio Says:

Hi,

Not familiar with your camera but are there any settings to change the metering mode i.e. spot, centre, matrix etc? If so that may help with the colour reproduction? I suspect the coat/jumper was black rather than the grey showing in the photo aswell? Alternatively if you send me the original file I might be able to correct it so it is showing a truer representation - can't promise though but can give it a go.

Leigh
ps enjoy reading your posts - have very little knowledge of bugs etc as more familiar with birds/butterflies so always interested to learn more about what is around us in Sussex

Graeme Lyons Says:

Thanks for the offer, but I'll get there eventually. I like the learning curve that comes with a new camera! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog.

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network