It's life, Jim, but not as we know it

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Saturday 26 February 2011 15:07

On a farm survey yesterday I spotted this crazy looking lichen. I didn't expect to be able to identify it from a photo but I am pretty sure it's Ramalania fastigiata according to 'Dobson'. It's quite common apparently on nutrient-rich bark but I can't remember ever seeing it before.  I think it looks like something off Star Trek. I also found a couple of carabids under a tray for feeding Pheasants and the species was also new to me, Trechus quadristriatus. That puts me on 3126, just past 1/8 of the way to 4000! Not having my laptop has been very liberating and frustrating in equal measures. It has made me realise how much I use the damn thing though.

1 Response to "It's life, Jim, but not as we know it"

Lucy Corrander : Photos Says:

I suppose it sort of bursts out with satellite dishes when its fruiting bodies get busy.

Lucy

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network