The other fluellen

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Monday 9 August 2010 19:08

On the way up to Levin Down from the small car park at Singleton, I have been used to walking through a pretty dull pasture for the last two years. Today however (and this shows how long it's been since I went to Levin!) the pasture was replaced by an arable field with a metre wide weedy margin running the full length of the path! It's hootching with arable weeds, I didn't have a lot of time but I soon got a tick, Round-leaved Fluellen (photo), of which there was loads. There was also Sharp-leaved Fluellen, Small Toadflax, Dwarf Spurge, Fool's Parsley and the usual common arable weeds. All this whilst I was being distracted by a Red Kite whistling in the distance. I didn't even bother to look for it though, arable weeds are way too exciting! I'll go back and have another look later in the week, I'm pretty sure I saw Cornfield Knotgrass there too so I want to go back with a key. Round-leaved Fluellen is much bigger than Sharp-leaved and lack the pointed lobes at the side of the leaf. However, they both have a pointed tip so the names are misleading.

2 Response to "The other fluellen"

Anonymous Says:

Just in case anyone is following this up, the footpath is from the small carpark at Charlton, not Singleton. Just along the road a bit, the path leading up to Levin Down.
Cheers
Peter

Graeme Lyons Says:

Thanks Peter! I always get the two villages there mixed up!

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network